~follow me~


https://twitter.com/soaringseoulhttps://www.youtube.com/user/soaringseoulhttps://www.instagram.com/dia.nely/





Oral Proficiency Interview: The Pre-Test

If you become a finalist, you will have an Oral Proficiency Interview, or OPI. Try not to get stressed about it! Oh, and make sure you have scheduled your OPI and confirmed it. It will usually last 10-15 minutes depending on how much you and your interviewer speak. If you get nervous and completely bomb it, it is perfectly alright! This interview will NOT determine your placement; it is just to monitor your progress. This pre-test is simply to test your speaking ability before the program and compare it to the post-test that you will have after the program. I got really nervous, and I did terrible. I could understand everything my interviewer said, but I had no idea what to say because I just kept freezing up!I am not sure, but if they make the recording available to us after the program, I am sure I will laugh at my self! (I am so excited about this program because, hopefully, it will help me with my nervousness when it comes to actually speaking).The great thing is that, if you do terrible, then when you have your post-test, you will show an incredible amount of improvement!

If you are a finalist reading this, you are probably really really nervous, regardless of what I tell you. You probably want to know how the interview is going to go down.
Well I don't want to give too many details because you shouldn't study for this interview. It is better that you do the interview without cramming before it. However, you should continue to study like you normally do, and actually continue learning at a normal pace. It is okay to learn a few phrases like "can you please repeat that?", "I don't understand", etc., but try not to learn phrases specific to the interview. You don't want your speaking ability to appear to be better than it actually is.

How It Went Down

First your interviewer will explain how the interview will happen in English and ask if you have any questions for them. Then he/she will proceed to do the interview in Korean.

Every interview I have heard about has been a little different. Some people were asked about objects in their room, some people were asked about their hobbies/interest. You don't know what they are going to ask for sure. You might even get asked about your family. Basically, they are going to start off by asking a few questions about yourself and/or your surroundings.
Then you might also get a role play situation. There are different role plays that I have heard about. Just to give you an idea, my role play was that my friend was sick and I was calling the hospital.
The final part of the interview is where your interviewer will tell you something about themselves, and then he/she will ask you to ask questions about what they told you. They might tell you about their hobbies, interest, etc. Then you can ask them any questions you want about what they told you (in Korean).

And that's it! I hope it was helpful! If you have questions about anything, please feel free to email me!

Comments

Popular Posts