~follow me~


https://twitter.com/soaringseoulhttps://www.youtube.com/user/soaringseoulhttps://www.instagram.com/dia.nely/





Meeting Host Families and First Day at Sogang (Video+Long Post)






Meeting our Host Families 


Our second day at the hostel was fun! We had part two of our orientation where we discussed several important things like the possible miscommunications we could have with our host family and how to handle those situations. During one of the breaks, a few of us discovered a playroom in the hostel! It was kind of under construction, but still lots of fun! We finished up orientation, and we were finally given our stipend and noisy program phones (♫doodoodoodooo You've Got Mail♫). Then it was time to meet our host families!!! We were all pretty nerve wrecked about meeting them. NSLI-Y6 is such an amazing group though! We were all sincerely excited and would cheer every time someone's host family would arrive to pick up them up! I was planning on filming when I met my host dad, but it happened so fast and unexpectedly! I got us to get something from my luggage, and right at that moment, my host dad arrived! I rushed back to grab my back pack, then my luggage. He insisted on helping me with my luggage though! (So sweet^^) Everyone would take a picture as they left the hostel with their host family...My picture was probably the most awkward, but we are still cute! My younger host sister was waiting at home and super ecstatic to meet me. She is the sweetest little girl! That night, they took me to the 한강 (Han River) that night with my younger host sister and host brother. It was extremely beautiful!! I didn't really get much footage that night of the river,but I had a blast! Right away I got along really well with my younger host sister!

Placement Test


The next day, we had our placement test at 서강대학교 (Sogang University)! Most of us were pretty nervous. It is best that you hold back from being cocky when you choose which test to take. If you have taken actual structured classes, then you probably know what level you are. For those of you who have learned through self study (like me!), my advice is to take the beginner test even if you might be a higher level. Although, when it comes down to it, you know your language ability best! After the test, we were given a tour of the university.



Seoul Searching a.k.a. Getting Lost


Since that was our first day, Delaney and I decided to find our way home together (we knew we lived in the same neighborhood). We went to the station that was closest to her apartments. After getting to that station, we got 빙수 (Bingsu!!) to use the wifi at the cafe to write down directions. We kind of got hopelessly lost. Then we found what we thought was Delaney's apartment complex. I went on my merry way unsure of where I was,simply hoping for the best. After a while, I noticed a big banner on a building with the name of Delaney's apartments...Uh-oh. I quickly called Delaney.Her card would not let her in to the apartments she was at, so I walked around attempting to go back to where she was. Luckily, we found each other, then found the right building! It turned out that her apartments were across the street from my apartments. I was so glad to be home! It was my second time being lost in the same day! (Oh, did I forget to mention that the same morning, on that day, I almost went to the country side? haha...No need to tell that story!) Well I definitely got some Seoul searching done on my first day!

Comments

  1. I watched one of your YouTube videos, and I really liked it. I have two questions about it. Did they give everyone a certain amount of money or did you bring money and exchanged it for Korean money. 2nd question, did everyone get a phone, and if so what type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching my videos! The gave us a certain amount of money. They gave us money for transportation (on our t-money card for the subway and other stuff). They they also gave us Korean cash money to buy food with. This was called our "stipend". Our host families provide breakfast and dinner, so we usually buy lunch with our stipend. It is up to you to be responsible and spend your food money wisely! It's really easy to find cheap food, but it is just as easy to spend all your money at a fancy restaurant! Yes, we all got a phone. However, the phones they gave us were supposed to be mostly for "emergencies".You can call and text, but that is about it because they are not smart phones. They were older pre-paid phones. I would recommend taking a tablet or a smartphone if you have one! Hand-held devices are useful because there is wi-fi pretty much everywhere, and you can use it to contact people.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts